Akwaaba! (Welcome!) I'm ecstatic to be able to share with every/anyone following me as I travel over seas to Ghana, West Africa. I'll be studying and taking classes at the University of Ghana near the capital, Accra, soon to become my new home for the next 4 months! So welcome and join me as I keep my blog updated as I go through this new journey, and adventurous experience! Akyire! (Later!)

Monday, August 29, 2011

Cultural Adjustment

I have officially been here for 3 weeks now, and am starting to adapt to my new surroundings. Let me say, it's not always the easiest task. At times I find myself comfortable, fitting in, and other times I can feel a little uncertain. But don't get me wrong, I am having a great time thus far! Just like anytime you may travel somewhere new, it takes a while to adjust to the new culture, surroundings, and the way things are done. Take for example, classes. Registering for classes was something completely different from what I am used to back at my home university, and determining what classes to take can also be a complicated process. Campus here is very large, and I'm proud to say that I'm pretty confident finding my way around now. However, with lots of walking around, occasional blisters are a common result from such. (Good thing for band aids). :] And just registering for classes involved a great amount of walking, along with occasional frustration and confusion. We had to walk to each department building for the class we wished to take, then sign up and register via paper, make sure the time in which the class takes place does not interfere with any of your other classes. However, not all departments had the class time schedules up and some dept. you can only register online. So you can probably see where some of the confusion comes from. Finally, the first week of classes arrives, Aug. 15th, and I am very excited! I'm ready to start classes and just get into a routine. However, most international students came to find out that it's pretty common for some professors and students to not show up the first week of class. It's a week more so where many people are still trying to figure out their class schedules, etc. etc. And in result, out of my five classes, I had one. African Drumming.

So as you can imagine, my excitement for starting classes and getting in a routine was put on hold until week 2 of class, which was a lot better!
Weather. I haven't had too many problems adjusting to the weather yet. Right now, the rainy season is coming to an end and the dry season is upcoming. We've been lucky and haven't had too many REALLY hot days. However, when it does get hot, it is HOT! Almost all Ghanaian's walk around and have some sort of sweat rag with them, a very necessary accessory, and something that I really need to invest in. You'll also notice that here, the Ghanaian's dress up for class and are almost always look very very nice. Girls will wear lots of dresses or jeans with a nice shirt and sandals. Guys typically wear black pants/khaki's with polo, button up, or a nice shirt. I actually really like the concept of students looking presentable and nice, not only for class but basically all the time here. But I must say that I really do miss being able to just wake up and go to class in sweatpants and a t-shirt. That just doesn't happen here.
One of the things that I do love here are the people. They're probably some of the nicest and most welcoming I've ever met, and it's really easy to meet new people and become friends with the locals. We've had random people come up to us and ask how we're doing, help us find our way if we are confused as to where we're going, and want to become your friend. It's different to get used to because in the States I feel building a friendship is more of a gradual process, where as here they may meet you for the first time and become you're friend at that moment. Just like I said, Ghanaian's are one of the most welcoming people, and I truly appreciate that here.   
Now, one of the hardest things for me to adjust to here has been the amount of pass time there is. I'm the type of person that if I am not doing something, I feel that I should be. So here, when I only have one class on Monday and it's not until 5:30pm, it's so foreign to me to have the whole day to myself, and I don't know what to do with myself! I'm starting to find things to do to occupy my free time here whether it's going for a run, shooting hoops, going to one of the many markets in Accra, or the mall, keeping up with my journal, read a book, walk around campus, browse the web, and taking naps. Oh, naps! Back home, I never had time to really take naps, and here I probably take a nap almost every other day. When there is nothing else to do, or I don't feel like doing anything, I have grown accustom to confiding  myself with my bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment